... Beg FG to evacuate them
Over 300 Nigerian businessmen and women who are trapped in Guangzhou area of China following the lockdown over Coronavirus have appealed to the Federal Government to evacuate them from the country to Nigeria.
In a Save Our Souls, SOS, message to President Muhammadu Buhari, the Nigerians said that they now risk homelessness and starvation as the had no money again to stay in their various hotels hence they would be thrown out.
This was even as the Chinese government which, had earlier ,seized their international passports, has released them to the Nigerians.
A statement issued by the Executive Director, Civil Liberties Organisation, CLO, Comrade Ibuchukwu Ezike, Tuesday quoted the trapped Nigerians as saying that they now face eviction and starvation challenges as they had totally run out of cash.
"The Nigerians who are sending 'SOS Appeal' to Abuja, said that they are left without money to pay for their hotel accommodations and feeding in China and may be thrown out of their hotels and denied food this week.
"The Nigerians said they are appealing to President Muhammadu Buhari to have compassion on them, their families and loved ones back home who they have missed for over a month now. That they have no money on them again to retain their hotel rooms and feed.
"They said, please, convey to the Nigerian authorities and people about our plight here in China.
"We are not resident here. We have nobody to take care of us, nor are we illegal persons.
"We are patriotic Nigerians who came here to buy articles of trade and got trapped by this global pandemic.
"Ask our government to save us from international embarrassment," they pleaded.
The victims have regularly tested negative for Coronavirus disease and sent the certificates from the Chinese medical authorities signifying that they were free from the infections.
"We have our return tickets with Ethiopian Airlines to Nigeria. Despite that, we are willing to comply with whatever legal directives of our government provided we are back home.
"They can fly us to one city in Nigeria, say for instance, Abuja or Lagos and quarantine us there for 14 days, subjecting us to NCDC tests and if after those 14 days we test negative to the disease, then, you allow us to rejoin our families. We are not asking that we be flown to Nigeria to join our homes without undergoing these processes," the added.
CLO appeals to the Nigerian Authorities to, as a matter of urgency, expedite action on arranging to bring these Nigerians home without further delay. We fear for these Nigerians who may soon be thrown out of their hotels to wander the streets of China and starve. Reports from China of late do not speak favourably of the natives' actions towards Africans.
CLO is afraid that these Nigerians nay face dangerous threats to their lives in the hands of security agents and the natives when they are thrown out of their hotel rooms.
Our second source of fear stems from the rumour of another developing news of a new dangerous virus in China called Hantavirus. The Global Times reported that the virus related disease is said to have started attacking people in Yunnan province of that country where one deceased victim has been registered. It is advisable to evacuate our people out of China before the new disease spread in that country.
CLO also appeals to the international community, the National Assembly, leaders of thought, Nigerian mothers and religious leaders to support the appeal to the Government to immediately fly these Nigerians back home.
May the stitch in time save us nine. --------------Comrade Ibuchukwu Ohabuenyi Ezike,